As a nation, Japan plays a key role in global economics and politics. Learning the language and culture of Japan will open doors in fields such as international relations, business, engineering and more.
As a Japanese major at Calvin, you will get a truly 360 degree view of Japanese culture by taking classes in Japanese philosophy, history, culture, religion and more. Many Japanese majors pair their major/minor in Japanese with majors/minors in business or international relations. Interested in studying abroad? Take advantage of a semester program hosted by a college in Japan. Or, consider a summer internship in Japan.
Careers in Japanese
- International Businessperson
- Government Employee
See job placement rates for Calvin grads.
Study international business in Japan for a semester; help plan the student-led Faith and International Development Conference; intern with World Renew; participate in Rangeela
By the numbers
- Students who participate in cross-cultural learning
- Modern languages taught at Calvin
- Students who studied off-campus in 2013
Dollar amounts reflect awards given for the 2014-15 academic year.
- Alan and Jan Pauw Family Scholarship
- award amount: $2,500
- junior or senior
- GPA of 3.00+
- financial need is considered; history, philosophy or a foreign language major; preference is given to those minoring in other liberal arts areas
- apply through the Calvin Portal