The French language is spoken in nearly 30 countries worldwide. Take the opportunity to discover the language of an international community within the context of a Christ centered education.
Calvin's French program will help you develop both language and cultural proficiency through courses and numerous cultural engagement opportunities. Calvin's semester program in Grenoble, France is designed to take you to the next level in your acquisition of the French language. Use this major to prepare for further study in graduate school, as a subject matter concentration for the teacher education program or as a complement to other majors and minors at Calvin, such as business, history and philosophy.
Careers in French
- International Aid Worker
- Peace Corps. Volunteer
- Financial Services Administrator
See job placement rates for Calvin grads.
Study abroad in a French-speaking country; become a French tutor and conversation group leader; participate in department-wide events like the annual French film festival, Pause café, Christmas party and French chapel.
By the numbers
- Students who participate in cross-cultural learning
- Modern languages taught at Calvin
- Students who studied off-campus last year
Dollar amounts reflect awards given for the 2014-15 academic year.
- Alan and Jan Pauw Family Scholarship
- award amount: $2,500
- junior or senior
- GPA 3.0+
- financial need required; majoring in history, philosophy, or a foreign language
- apply through the Calvin Portal
Talk to us
Interested in teaching? You can gain certification in French as a:
- French Major to teach at the Elementary, Secondary, K-12 level - see program requirements
- French Minor to teach at the Elementary, Secondary, K-12 level - see program requirements
Calvin's teacher education program also contains education-specific course requirements that you must complete prior to certification. See course requirements for:
Professor Robert Keeley talks about the education program.