More than anything else, language is the gateway to another culture. From the settlement of New Amsterdam (more commonly known as New York) to the founding of Calvin itself, the language and culture of the Netherlands have shaped our societal identity.
Calvin is one of only a handful of colleges and universities nationwide that offers a Dutch major and minor program. Our location in Grand Rapids provides the unique advantage of a thriving Dutch community to support your language studies. By combining a strong classroom foundation with rich cultural engagement, Calvin is able to offer a quality education to any student interested in germanic languages.
Careers in Dutch
See job placement rates for Calvin grads.
Study abroad in the Netherlands over interim or for a semester; join the Dutch department for Sinterklaas and Koninginnedag parties; ride in Calvin's annual "Go Green, Go Dutch, Go Bike!" event; attend Dutch chapel.
By the numbers
- Off-campus semester programs in places like Ghana, England, China and Hungary.
- Off-campus interim courses offered each January
- Students who studied off-campus in 2013
Dollar amounts reflect awards given for the 2014-15 academic year.
- Dutch International Society Scholarship
- award amount: $1,500; $2,500
- any class level
- GPA of 2.70+
- financial need is considered; taking classes in the Dutch language program
- apply through the Dutch department using the forms located below the scholarship listing
- Alan and Jan Pauw Family Scholarship
- award amount: $2,500
- junior or senior
- GPA of 3.00+
- financial need is considered; history, philosophy or a foreign language major; preference is given to those minoring in other liberal arts areas
- apply through the Calvin Portal