In an economy that's becoming increasingly global, a foundational knowledge of Chinese language and culture connects us with over one-fifth of the world's population. In light of this, Calvin has developed the only comprehensive program in Chinese offered by a Christian college in North America.
As a Chinese major at Calvin, you will get a truly 360 degree view of Chinese culture by taking classes in Chinese philosophy, history, culture, religion and more. Many Chinese majors pair their major/minor in Chinese with majors/minors in business or international relations. Interested in studying abroad? Take advantage of Calvin's faculty-led semester in Beijing, China. Or, consider an interim studying the art or medicine of China, or spend a summer in China working at a grant-funded internship.
Careers in Chinese
- International Businessperson
- Government Employee
See job placement rates for Calvin grads.
Participate in Asia Club; join the International Student Association Committee; help out with Rangeela.
By the numbers
- Students who participate in cross-cultural learning
- Modern languages taught at Calvin
- Students who studied off-campus last year
Dollar amounts reflect awards given for the 2014-15 academic year.
- Alan and Jan Pauw Family Scholarship
- award amount: $2,500
- junior or senior
- GPA of 3.00+
- financial need is considered; history, philosophy or a foreign language major; preference is given to those minoring in other liberal arts areas
- apply through the Calvin Portal
Wayne Ten Harmsel
Assistant Professor, Director of China Semester Program